Pinterested?

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Best-Ever Beef Barley Soup

I’m not a huge Beef Barley Soup fan, but this recipe is an exception. As Beef Barley Soup goes, I think of this one as gourmet. I tend to think in pictures, Dollinks. For reasons even I can’t explain, I picture myself tramping through marshes wearing Wellington boots and a plaid head scarf whenever I make this soup. There’s a light drizzle, with fog nestling in the thickets. I’m striding quickly, knowing there’s a comforting pot of Beef Barley Soup on the stove. 
(“What do those images mean, Herr Doktor Freud?” “Vat vass your relationship viss your fazzer?”) It seems I have a therapist’s couch to lie on, Dollinks. Allow me to slip off my Wellies as I give you the recipe ... 
Best-Ever Beef Barley Soup:
8 c. beef stock (commercially made or use the Beef Stock recipe in my Mar. 9, 2012 post)
1 c. pot or Scotch barley (see Note)
3 c. cooked beef (or beef picked from the bones used to make my stock, as above)
7 oz. (210 mL) can tomato sauce (I generally use half a 14-oz. can)
4 tbsp. tomato paste
1-½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. basil
½ c. frozen, diced mixed vegetables
¼ c. dry sherry (optional)
Bring beef stock to the boil. Rinse barley in a sieve under cold running water. Stir into stock. Add all remaining ingredients except vegetables and sherry. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 min., stirring occasionally. Add frozen mixed vegetables, stirring 5 min. Turn off heat, stirring in sherry. Serves 8.
Note: For an excellent explanation of barley types, see http://www.lesliebeck.com/ingredient_index.php?featured_food=64

Don't let the meat used to make stock go to waste!

A splash of sherry for the soup ... another splash for the cook!

Ladle soup into bowls: Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!