Pinterested?

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Quick Turkey Curry

Several years ago, in an exotic restaurant perched in an even more exotic setting - a jungle - I spotted a curried prawn soup on the menu and just had to have it! The soup arrived lukewarm - a disappointment. When I asked the friendly server to heat the soup, he obliged, presenting it with a flourish. It was still lukewarm - but now it burned my mouth, fried my taste buds, and left me with tears in my eyes. Somehow, the “language of curry” got lost in translation!


I don’t create my own curries because the authentic, bottled pastes and sauces do it so much better. The simple curry recipe below is at just the right level for me, giving me the sense of “preparing a curry” while expending only minimal effort. The result is delicious - except that, as with my jungle experience - I’d like this dish much hotter.


The recipe comes from Canadian writer Johanna Burkhard’s 1999 book titled Fast & Easy Cooking. Burkhard agrees with me on turkey-roasting - be sure to keep plan-overs in mind - but what she and I clearly do not agree upon is the amount of curry this dish should have. 


If you’re the timid type who seeks just a pleasant hint of curry, use the 2 tsp. Burkhard suggests. If you can never get enough (Curry! Curry!), start with 1-½ tbsp., gradually adding more until the dish suits your taste. Or - as I did when I made this recipe - substitute curry paste for the relatively mild curry powder, cooking it in with the vegetables, apple, and seasonings. 


Quick Turkey Curry:


2 tsp. (10 mL) vegetable oil (I like canola or olive)

1 small onion, chopped

1 large garlic clove, chopped fine

2 tsp. (10 mL) finely chopped fresh ginger

1 medium apple, peeled and chopped

½ c. (125 mL) finely diced celery

2 tsp. (10 mL) curry powder

1 tbsp. (15 mL) all-purpose flour

1-⅓ c. (330 mL) chicken or turkey stock, commercial or home-made (see Note)

6 tbsp. (90 mL) mango chutney

2 c. (250 mL) diced cooked turkey

¼ c. (60 mL) raisins

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste


Add oil to large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, apple, celery, and curry. Cook 5 min. or until softened, stirring frequently. Blend in flour; add stock and chutney. Cook, stirring constantly, until stock starts to boil and thicken. Stir in turkey and raisins. Season to taste. Cook a further 3 min., or until heated through. Serves 4. 


Note: For more recipes using leftover turkey, check One Click: TurkeyTo make Poultry Stock, see One Click: How to Make Poultry Stock

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!