Pinterested?

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Thunder and Lightning

Punster Peter Battistoni aka P.B.


My Facebook friend P.B., whose identity I have sworn to keep secret, has a punny sense of humor. P.B. shares his puns with his Facebook friends almost every day. One of P.B.’s puns inspired me to make this simple scone recipe. But first, his latest bon mots: 

I was almost caught in a lightning storm. Luckily, I bolted inside.

Har-har-har-har! Um ... I guess you had to be there. My response:


Knock knock! 

Who’s there? 

Thunder. 

Thunder who?

Thunder enlightening. 

Har-har-ha- ??? Really??? 

Oh. Well, now.

Let’s move on, shall we?


Thunder and Lightning:


1 c. (250 mL) currants or craisins  

2 c. (500 mL) all-purpose flour

1/4 c. (60 mL) granulated sugar

1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder

1/2 c. (125 mL) shortening

Enough milk to make a soft dough, about 3/4 c.

Oil for frying, as needed


Plump currants or raisins (see Note); set aside. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and fruit all at once, stirring just until moistened. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough with floured pin until dough is about 1/4-in. (0.7 cm) thick. Cut into 2-1/2-in. (6 cm) rounds. Fry in a small amount of oil at medium-low heat until golden, about 2 min. per side. Serve warm or at room temperature, with or without jam. Makes 2 dozen.


Note: See Index for How to Plump Dried Fruits.


Further Note: My guess is that these scones got their name after being cooked over a fire during an electrical storm. Maybe the lights went out? Maybe P.B. presented everyone with another pun? (Lord, I hope not). As for this punster’s identity? His secret’s safe with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!